Tuesday, July 4

she sewed something! not by the seashore.

hello blog! let me tell you of my recent sewing adventures.......

after weeks of wincing and apologising to myself every time i looked at my sewing machine i finally had the chance to use the old dear. yay! i miss her when i don't have a chance to sew. one day i will have a studio of my own where i can leave the machine out all the time. one day when i am an old lady. but one day nonetheless!

i had the opportunity to sew not one but two entire garments, can you believe it? no, nor can i!
this one, the first, is a little jacket for Ivy. it is an old McCalls pattern i bought when Finn was a wee babe. i have made it in several incarnations but i must say this is my favourite. i added lining to the whole jacket to make it nice and snug.

cute huh? the body is some red corduroy i had hanging around, i didn't have enough cord for the whole lot so the sleeves and hood are denim from a pair of my old pants. the body and sleeves are lined with some nice warm pink flannelette and the hood is lined with some beautiful craft fabric i ordered from the internets. those are some funny little mouse ears you can see on the top there too! pink lace, red ricrac (i am a ricrac lover) and cute green vintage buttons complete the deal. and she looks super cute in it!


and then yesterday i sewed myself a blouse. it's a pattern from the women's issue of Ottobre magazine. i altered it somewhat (of course!) the pattern is actually a wrap top but i wanted button and the original also had a proper collar up the top but i left that off and decided to fold the lapels up so my boobs don't hang out (they have a dreadful habit of doing that you know). so it's gone from being an average blouse to a bit of a 60s mod number. makes me feel slightly less suburban housewife than the original would have. but i am not kidding myself here, i don't look cute in my new clothes the way the babe looks cute in hers!

1 comment:

girlprinter said...

Oooo... I love your shirt! Thanks for your comment at Show & Tell. Have you seen this: http://www.changethis.com/23.Crafters?